Monday, August 22, 2005

Introduce Yourself

Okay . . . so I've had you take my little course survey, and the thinking you did for that should have primed you for this quick assignment. All I want from you is a blog entry that says "hello" and tells us a few things about you. [Update: note: this should be posted to your blog, rather than in the comments here . . .]

I'm looking for three things:

1. The biographical basics: what's your name and where are you from and what brings you to BSU?

2. Expertise: What kind of an expert are you? It's tough, sometimes, to see our own expertise, because we have a hard time seeing ourselves as interesting. But take a few minutes and think about what you do and have done. Do you know more about music and video games than anyone else you know? Are you the person who knows all the best new bands? Can you rebuild a car's engine, train a dog, check grammar, play an instrument, sing skillfully, manage a farm, skate, build a house, run a store, wait tables . . . you get the idea.

3. What would you really like to know more about?

Length: No requirement. 250 words would be plenty. 50 is probably too few, although some people can say a whole lot with only a few words.

Scoring: 5 points for completion on time.

Suggestion 1: Compose this offline in a word processor, then cut and paste it into the Blogger window. There's less chance, that way, that you will lose your work due to a computer glitch.

Suggestion 2: If you're stuck for ideas, you might try freewriting. This webpage contains a short, clear explanation of freewriting. I've also posted an explanation of my own in Blackboard, in the "Assignments/Handouts" area.

Hint 1: In Windows, the key combination [control][c] (hold down [control], then hit [c]), will copy highlighted text on your screen. [control][v] will paste it. (And [control][x] will cut it.) This can be a very useful, time-saving "shortcut," sometimes. On Macs: same thing except that you use the "apple" key instead of [control].

Hint 2: If you happen to try to use the Blogger spell checker in a browser that blocks "pop ups," you'll have to allow pop ups for the Blogger page. Spell check comes up as a separate window.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Matthew Towne and I am from Rochester. I came to ball state to go into secondary education in history. I chose that because I am very interested in history and I really want to teach and ball state has one of the best teaching programs in the nation.
I would have to say that I know a lot about history. I always excelled in my history classes because I already knew what had happened. Also I also love to watch the history channel and the discovery channel so that's how I know a lot about the history of many cultures and civilizations.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I’m Alexandra Garritano and I’m from Merrillville, IN. I’m here at BSU because I think that it is best suited for me considering my major is a part of the performing arts and BSU is known for its exceptional performing arts program. I believe that I am an expert at getting things done correctly. Once I get assignments, I try to get them finished as soon as possible. Not only am I eager to get things done, but I am also very efficient at those things. I always make sure everything is right and done the first time I receive them. There is no way that I will let someone else do my homework for me because I will not sleep knowing that someone else is messing up my work! I would like to learn how to improve my writing skills and make them more professional. Also, I would like to gain a better understanding of my writing skills and hopefully progress once I know in which “writing department” I am lacking. I cannot wait until the class gets going because I am always eager to learn new things, but who isn’t?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm Nate Baughey. I'm from Hartford City (Blackford County). Right now my major is undecided but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go into Marketing. I came to Ball State because I was already very familiar with Muncie since I only like 20 miles away, I came over here all the time. I have friends that are already over here and I've been coming to campus since I was a Sophomore.

Anonymous said...

Hi. My name is Jeremey Habbinga. I am from Lafayette, IN about 2 hours northwest of here. I decided to come here because it is far away from Lafayette. Not really. I came to Ball State because I heard that the college has a lot of classes and programs that are among the best in the nation. I wanted to be a part of that. My main expertise would have to be rock music. I know more about it than most people. I know the sounds and styles of most bands of all genres and most decades. I would like to extend my knowledge of music and learn how to play different instruments.

Anonymous said...

My name is Derek Matthew Brown and I’m from Fort Wayne, Indiana, or one of the most boring places on earth if you prefer. I am a secondary education major with a focus on social studies and a creative writing minor. My dream is to be able to live off of writing screenplays and novels, but would consider teaching an acceptable (if not as lucrative) second choice. The reason I chose to come to Ball State is because they have very good programs in both of those areas, and it’s far enough away from home, but no so far away from home.
One thing I’d have to say I’m an expert in would have to be Tang Soo Do. I’ve been taking classes for nine and half years, have a second degree black belt in the art and am certified to teach. Other things I could probably say I’m an expert in are writing poems and modern movies. My collection has been referred to as extensive, and the phrase, “holy sh!t” has been said more than once.
Things I would like to know more about are Greek mythology, the CIA, JFK assassination, screenwriting, movie producing, cars, euchre, and poker.

Fred Johnson said...

Once again, like I said in the post, this is not the place for your self introductions. Your self intro goes on *your own* blog.

fj

Anonymous said...

This is Amber Lovitt from 103. My blog is called "Amber's Blog, " and you can find it at http://Lovee79743.blogspot.com.

Anonymous said...

My name is Renaird L. Sanford. I plan on majoring in computer science and business. I wanted to major in computer science because I like computers. I know a little about computers but I would love to learn more. I don't know what aspect of business I want do but hopefully I will find something. I want to know how will you get our writing skills better and when you get them better how much better will you get them.

Anonymous said...

My name is Renaird L. Sanford. I plan on majoring in computer science and business. I wanted to major in computer science because I like computers. I know a little about computers but I would love to learn more. I don't know what aspect of business I want do but hopefully I will find something. I want to know how will you get our writing skills better and when you get them better how much better will you get them.