Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Notes on Gradebook

Some of you may have been peeking into the gradebook on Blackboard and wondering what's going on there. Don't do that. Blackboard's gradebooks is kinda clunky, so I never use it.

I do, however, use the BSU online gradebook. I won't keep it absolutely always up to date, and I'll occasionally lock you out. But I will let you know when it's both up to date and available, so that you can check out your scores and let me know about anything you think isn't quite right. (I'll have scores updated either by classtime tomorrow or by Friday.)

Please note:

When I use Gradebook, your letter grades on some really small, low-point-value assignments can look pretty bad. Like, on the two point freewriting score, you either get an A (2/2) or an F (1/2). I wish Gradebook wouldn't mark the letter grade on these at all, honestly. A 1/2 on a little assignment is not an F like an F on a major paper would be: what counts in the non-paper, non-exam scores that make up 20% of your final grade is the *overall total* number of points you get. So an "F" on the freewrite (a 1 out of 2) is less of a big deal than a "C" on a ten point quiz (a 7 of 10), because for the "F" you missed getting only 1 point, whereas for the C you lost three points. I hope this makes sense . . . weighted grades can be a little confusing, I know. I just don't want you to panic when you look at Gradebook.

No comments: