Thursday, October 20, 2005

Your List of "Search Terms"

Quick note on the "search word" assignment, as there seems to have been some confusion here and there.

What I'm looking for at this stage is not a set of sources or links but a set of words for searching.

For example, if you're interested in hang gliding, you might start with "hang gliding" as your first search term. Then, as you read about hang gliding, you might discover some other possible ways to expand or limit your search: "Otto Lilienthal" (inventor/innovator in hang gliding), "air sports," "Icarus" (name of a kind of hang glider), "carbon fiber," "monoplane," and so on.

Now . . . I knew zip about hang gliding 20 minutes ago. All of the above I gleaned from a few minutes of reading. So while I was collecting search terms, I was also learning about hang gliding and getting ideas for more focused papers: I could write about the early innovators in hang gliding; I could write about particular designs of hang gliders; I could write about important materials in hang gliders; I could write about flying techniques.

So, in addition to just gathering a bunch of search terms, this exercise forced me to become a more informed listerner in the ongoing conversation about hang gliders. It also led me to interesting sources: hang glider associations, a Yahoo group dedicated to hang gliding, and so on. I'm hoping that your searching will yield the same sorts of results for you.

But all I want you to post to your blogs for me by Saturday night is this: a list of ten to twenty search terms.

Here's one example: a list of terms I'm really using right now to research Tablet PCs and education:

Tablet PC
Tablet PC Reviews
Thinkpad Tablet
Slate PC
Lenovo X41
HP Compaq TC4200
Toshiba Tecra M4
OneNote
GoBinder
Motion Computing
Screen Resolution
Backlighting
Viewing angle
"paperless classroom"

And here's a second set of terms, based on a few minutes of searching I did on an interesting 90s band called Sunny Day Real Estate:

"sunny day real estate"
jeremy enigk
Sub Pop records
Gravenhurst
Return of the Frog Queen
Underwater Cinematograher
Fire Theft
Foo Fighters
"united states of leland"
seattle
emo

I hope this helps any of you who are unsure of how to move forward on this assignment. If not, please send me an email.

Fred

No comments: